- An organized wallet
- A newspaper subscription
- A nice watch
- A good credit score
- Manicured and Pedicured at all times
- Monthly hair appointments
- Wine savvy
- Up to date on current events
- Wears a belt
- Polished shoes
- A non-expired driver’s licence
- A savings account with actual money in it
- Impeccable handwriting
- Well trained dog (if you have a dog. Not get a dog and train it, but if you already have a dog, it doesn’t jump up or go ballistic when somebody comes to the door, and doesn’t try to eat other dogs for trying to share the sidewalk with her etc…)
- Clothes that aren’t made up 80% of cat hair
- Is punctual
- Has a life plan / action plan /mind map
Mine is on the basement wall, made of chalkboard paint and post it notes, in an organized and grown-up yet whimsical and not at a all OCD/stalker/serial killer way.
- Phone isn’t almost always at 1% battery life
- Knows where key are
- Knows where (organized) wallet is
- Doesn’t have oppositional defiance disorder
- Goes to the dentist for check-ups and cleanings
- Doesn’t argue with themselves about whether or not it is bedtime and then stay up way too late watching Netflix and wonder why they’re so exhausted all the next day, pausing repeatedly to search “fatigue” on webMD
- Doesn’t search anything on webMD ever
- Washes face before bed (instead of smearing off excess eyeliner from yesterday and counting what’s left of it as “today’s make-up”).
While “Sophistication means more than just smoking a thin cigarette in a French café while discussing your latest trip to an art gallery.” this online document illustrating (literally) how-to steps will get you fast tracked to sophistication in no time at all!
Okay, it’s not actually just a few simple steps. there are 4 parts to the process with several steps in each so I did you the favour of giving it a quick browse and grabbing what are clearly the most important steps of each part. Ready?
Part 1 – Getting the Look
Keep your face looking sophisticated.
- Women should wear some makeup to show that they’ve made an effort, but not so much that they end up hiding their natural features. Just a touch of eye shadow and liner and lipstick or lip gloss will do; there’s no need to throw on fake eyelashes or layers of blush.
- Men should keep their faces looking fresh, but they can keep their beards or just a little bit of stubble. You don’t have to be free of facial hair to look sophisticated. A beard can even make you look more sophisticated, especially if you have some gray in your beard.
Part 2 – Talking the talk
Avoid discussing any subjects that make people uncomfortable.
Knowing what not to say is just as important as knowing what you should not talk about. Avoid discussing subjects that make people cringe, roll their eyes, or generally feel like leaving the room. Here are some subjects that you should avoid talking about if you want to sound sophisticated:
- How much money you make
- Bodily functions
- Your latest hookup
- How drunk you got last night
Part 3 – Picking Up Sophisticated Interests
Here are some ways to be a more well-read person:
- Stop watching silly TV shows and curl up with a good book instead; stop listening to pop music and listen to an audio book on the way to work.
- Join a book club. This will motivate you to read regularly.
- Read the books on the Modern Library’s 100 best novels list.
- Read widely. Don’t just read fiction, non-fiction, or books written about America. Read books of different genres that represent different cultures.
- Make a list of books you want to read by the end of the next New Year. See how many you can check off your list.
- If you want to sound sophisticated, make sure you know that the writer George Eliot is a woman, and that the writer Evelyn Waugh is a man.
- Learn to pronounce the names of French writers. For example, Proust is pronounced “Proost,” to rhyme with “roost.”
Appreciate wine. Drinking wine does not mean chugging a box of Franzia in your college’s parking lot before the big football game. It means knowing how to appreciate wine from different regions, and learning how to recognize different types of wine and the different flavors that you can find in a glass of wine. Here are some things you will need to master if you want to be sophisticated:
- The different types of wine. Cabernet, Merlot, Pinot Noir, and Zinfandel are some common red wines you may encounter; Chardonnay, Sauvignon Blanc, Riesling, and Pinot Grigio are some white wines you may drink.
- Wine tasting. To taste wine, swirl it around, smell it gently, and then take a small, thoughtful sip. Don’t down the whole glass without noticing the richness of the flavors.
- Chilling your wine. White wine should be cold; red wine should be kept out of the refrigerator. Don’t put ice cubes in your white wine to cool it down unless you want to look unsophisticated.
Part 4 – Acting Sophisticated
Avoid getting visibly intoxicated in public.
It’s sophisticated to sip a glass of Rosé or white wine on your patio and keep up witty conversation—it’s not sophisticated to be seen stumbling around a bar, falling into stools and not being able to keep your food down.
- If you want people to think you’re sophisticated, although it goes deep down within yourself, then people will take you seriously, and nobody takes a person who can’t hold his liquor very seriously.
- You can meet sophisticated people at book clubs, book readings, gallery openings and events, poetry readings, concerts, or at any art-inspired events.
I don’t know about you guys but I’m super inspired to get sophisticated now that I know how easy and straight forward it is; To the point where I have re-written my own personal list of symbols of sophistication.
- Stop going out looking like a drag queen
- Stop talking about poop
- Cancel my Netflix account, quit my job and take up full time reading
- Develop a very strong dependancy on wine without chugging boxes of Franzia in my college’s parking lot before the big football games.
- Only drink alone and in private.
- Hang out with other unemployed alcoholics who wear modest amounts of make-up/beardage who don’t talk about poop and have lots of words, all the words, the best words.
*For access to the rest of the steps, so that you can become a truly sophisticated person,
follow this link: https://www.wikihow.com/Be-Sophisticated